This is a quick and tasty soup for those cold winter days. The recipe’s name is really “I-did-it-my-
way onion soup” which tells you there are plenty of options here. Some cooks add the brandy and flame it after the onions have been cooked, others prefer to add it to the soup just before serving. I have to admit that I don’t add the brandy or the floating cheese-melted toast. So I guess I should call my version “naked” onion soup. Any way you make it though, it’s going to be delicious.
- 3 large onions
- 50 ml (1/4 c) butter
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) oil salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) flour (if thickening is needed)
- 1500 ml (6 cups) beef stock
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) brandy toasted
- French bread shredded cheese (smoked gruyere, swiss, dofino, mozzarella, etc.)
Slice onions and sauté in butter and oil until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add beef stock and simmer 25 minutes. Pour into serving bowls and float toast on top. Sprinkle with cheese and brown in oven. Serves 6.
Share this post
- Tags: onions