Borscht seems to come in many variations depending on the country of origin. This is my mother’s version. If you’ve got winter vegetables still hanging out in the cold cellar this is a good way to put them to use.
- 1 lb brisket – cut in small pieces
- 10 medium sized beets – peeled and cut in small pieces
- 3 large carrots – cut in small pieces
- 1 onion – diced
- 1 potato – cubed
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) pickling spice – in tea ball
- 250 ml (1 cup) sour cream
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) vinegar
- 1 can pork and beans, rinsed
Boil brisket in water for about 5 minutes. Wash the meat under the tap and change the water.
Bring brisket back to a boil in about a half pot of water or more. Add beets, carrots, and onions making sure they are covered with 2½ cm (1 inch) of water. Add salt and pickling spice.
This should boil about two hours until the beets, carrots and meat are done. Add cubed potato after 1½ hours.
Add sour cream, vinegar and pork and beans. Boil about 5 minutes.
Tastes better if stands about an hour.